Clone of the hard drive on Mac is a bootable redundant copy of the drive. It creates the copy of the data on the Mac as well as the Macintosh operating system. Cloning Mac is complementary to other backup methods. Most of the time cloning is used before you update the system. Even if the data after update is not accessible you can boot your system using the cloned hard drive.
The clone of the drive can be created in several ways. The clone of the drive can be taken on the hard drive itself as well as another hard drive. The clone made on the hard drive itself is used to create the clone of the data on the drive and the clone created on another hard drive creates the replica of the data and the OS.
One thing should be taken in to consideration before creating the clone of the drive is that the size of the destination drive has to be more then the source drive as the data on the source should be saved properly on the destination drive. The time machine back up is not that good as the clone of the drive, as the Time machine cannot boot the system where as the cloned drive can boot your system. But at the same time we cannot ignore the Time machine back up as both sort of the backup serve different purpose.
Now let’s see how to create the clone of the drive:
- Need to boot the system using the Mac OSX disk came with Mac, No, Not at all we are not going to do the installation. But, these are some necessary steps.
- Insert the CD in to the Mac and Restart the Mac Keep holding the C key while the system starts again.
- Now select the language from the menu when the menu bar appears
- Now select the source hard drive, this will be the hard drive for which you want to create clone. Now select the destination drive this will be the drive on which you want to save the backup image.
- Once the drive are selected click on the restore button to create the clone of the drive.
Why Clone Drive Software is required?
Disk utility creates the clone of the whole drive, but if in case you don't need to create the clone of the whole drive what will you do, you have to occupy a large amount of space even if the clone is required of just one folder.Cloning software helps you to create clone of the hard drive, clone folder, clone network drive as well as clone volume.